In July of 1876, Bishop Alexander C. Garrett visited Brownwood for the first time as part of his horse and buggy circuit as the Missionary Bishop in charge of North Texas. The population was 120 people of which three were Episcopalians. He confirmed one person. Ten years after his first visit, Bishop Garrett approved the petition to organize St. John’s Mission. Twelve men signed the petition. The Reverend Peter Wagner became vicar of the new Mission (in addition to serving the Missions in Ballinger and Coleman). In 1888, St. John’s became a self-supporting parish.
The present building was constructed within four years of the parish’s beginning. The stained galass windows were constructed in Belgium, and a shipping error caused St. John’s to receive at least some of the windows for a St. Peter’s Church in Japan. The “Tokyo” window is behind the Altar, the corresponding “Brownwood” window in Tokyo was evidently destroyed by an earthquake in the 1930’s.
The Rectory was completed in 1903. The Parish Hall was constructed in 1928. Both buildings have been significantly remodeled since.